Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mulatu Astatke



Today's awesome find is from this article from Giant Step.  I've never heard of Mulatu Astetke until I read this article. Not only his music, but also his history interests me so much. I see some cultural mingling. I love it.

I listened to so many good/or bad US/UK pop songs when I was a teenager. Then I started exploring world music before I was introduced to Jazz by my husband who composes Jazz tunes. I had no choice but listening to Bill Evans to Tribe Called Quest day and night with aspiring Jazz musicians/composers.  Then I got into some funk, soul, oh Nina Simone...then to electronic experimental.  To me, somehow electro currently works the best for working:-) Jazz stimulates my brain too much. That's not good for working!

I still go straight to WORLD music section in stores to discover something new from around the world. We are so used to visual inspirations on the Internet, but it's very refreshing to have some mental inspiration through different kind music. Cultural experience wise, listening to world music work much better than being on  "It's A Small World" ride at Disneyland. That didn't work for me:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment