Thursday, March 24, 2011

Candle Nights



It's been two weeks since the big one hit, and I have experienced a few scheduled rolling blackouts.  What I learned from this experience is that how much we rely on electricity in everyday life.
Street lights are out.  So as street signals. Stores are closed.  No public transportation.  What would you do to enjoy your Friday night without electricity?
Last blackout was scheduled from 6 to 10pm on Friday night.  I charged up my computer in advance and watched movies with candle lights during the blackout.  After the experience, I realized that we really use unnecessary electricity all day everyday.  Compared to pre-electric times, we work much longer hours and consume more energy resource to generate more products and money.  It's like someone on diet has to work out harder and harder for eating double cheese pizzas for every meal.

I found this Japanese non-profit organization, Candle Night, on the Internet, and that lead to the info about Earth Hour.  It's 8:30-9:30pm on March 26th!!  The second blackout period of this Saturday will end at 8pm in this area, so why don't I go on until I go to bed?  I really enjoyed the coziness and tranquility of candle nights, and I would like to have candle nights more often regardless of the scheduled blackouts.


Candle Night
 


Earth Hour 2011

Earth Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment